It is getting warmer outside which means you will often find me outdoors on the weekends. Whether it is doing yard work, hiking, or going to the lake I love to be outdoors during the warm months. One of my favourite things to do is hike. I love exploring new places. Here are some of my favourite places to explore near Vernal, Utah.
- Dinosaur National Monument. I will compile this into one but there are several beautiful hikes in the Dinosaur National Monument. One of my favourites is Harpers Corner. To get to Harpers corner you actually drive to the Dinosaur National Monument Headquarters in Dinosaur Colorado and keep driving. Here is how you get to the Dinosaur National Monument, 11625 East 1500 South, Jensen, UT 84035
- Moonshine Arch- here are the directions -Driving north on Highway 191 from Vernal, drive about one-half mile past the entrance to Steinaker State Park; about mid-point in the curve of the highway there will be a dirt road to the left, which is a little hard to see from the highway. The gravel road crosses a small wash before coming to a metal gate which you should close behind you after passing through. About one-half mile from the highway turn left from the gravel onto a wide dirt road, then follow the signs for about a mile. Travel as far as safe for your vehicle to traverse; four-wheelers with a high clearance will probably make it all the way to the trailhead. If you get to the trailhead, park there and follow the signs, otherwise walk to the trailhead, respecting the fences of private property.
- Jones Hole- here are the directions from Dinosaur Quarry,: Drive 1 hour along the Brush Creek Road and Diamond Mountain Road to the Jones Hole National Fish Hatchery. The hatchery has parking, restrooms, and an information kiosk for your convenience
- McConckie Ranch address- 6228 McConkie Rd, Vernal, UT 84078
- Fantasy Canyon Although this is not much of a hike it will get you out and walking for about a couple of hours. It is on my bucket list this summer. I hear it is awesome!
Travel east out of Vernal to Naples. On the south end of Naples, take UT45 south for about 20 miles. You will cross the Green River en route.20 miles from Naples, a gravel road comes in on the right. This is the Glen Bench Road. Follow it for 12.6 miles. Turn left here, and go an additional 4.4 miles to Fantasy Canyon. As of 2011, the junctions were well signed. From the parking area, there is a large interpretive sign and information about the area. It is a 20 or 30-minute walk through the sculpted area to see all of the features.
Sources for directions: